2. entry requirements
Our expectations of you
We are looking for ambitious trainees who can demonstrate their commitment and desire to become outstanding teachers of the future and who understand the impact a teacher has on the lives of the children they teach. It is a pre-requisite that, as well as having the required academic qualifications, candidates should have the determination, enthusiasm and strength of character necessary to successfully make the transition from trainee to fully qualified, highly skilled classroom professional. In return, we promise to offer you the best professional training available.
Academic entry requirements
- A degree in any subject from a UK University*
- GCSE Grade C or above (or equivalent) in English Language, Mathematics and Science at the point of application (Please note that we consider either dual award Science or single award Biology, Chemistry or Physics, however, Science related qualifications such as human biology or environmental science are not considered as equivalent*.
*Please note that if these are not already held at the point of application, the application form should clearly indicate that these are in the process of being achieved.
Professional entry requirements
- 10 days recent and relevant experience in a primary school or early years setting is desirable but not essential.
- Evidence of a clear understanding of teaching, learning, national frameworks and strong evidence of a commitment to teaching
- Evidence of good spoken and written English
Pre-programme entry requirements
- A clear enhanced DBS disclosure and Childcare Disqualification (Completed by YSTA on your behalf after gaining a conditional offer)
- A clear health record (Organised by YSTA on your behalf after gaining a conditional offer)
The Selection Process
Charged with the training of teachers of the future, our selection and recruitment process is rigorous and robust. The process is led by experienced Headteachers and senior leaders of schools within Yarrow Schools Teaching Alliance.
The selection process involves both scrutiny of application forms as well as a thorough interview process which involves:
- Application form check to confirm that you meet the academic entry criteria
- Personal statement review to establish that you demonstrate a clear understanding of teaching, learning, national statutory frameworks as well as having a clear desire to become an outstanding teacher.
Shortlisted candidates are then invited to interview (either in school or remotely depending upon national guidelines at the time) where they will be expected to demonstrate their skills and competencies in a range of situations which will include:
- Teaching a class of Key Stage 2 children
- Pupil interview
- Individual interview with Headteachers, senior leaders or school governors
- A Numeracy and Literacy Test
We are an Alliance that prepares teachers for their future career. Student teachers who train through Teaching Alliance will be the most highly-trained teachers, and will successfully complete their training ready to be effective and successful in a classroom. At Yarrow Schools Teaching Alliance we are committed to unlocking and enhancing that potential and unleashing your talent.